i5K Coordinating Group
February 15, 2023
Based on progress re-visioning i5K, we will attempt to come to consensus on a way forward.
We are all very busy:
How can me make i5K fun, yet worthwhile__?
Attending: Kevin Hackett, RJ Nowling, Glenn Hanes, Michael Branstetter, Marc Halfon, Sarthok Rahman, Chris Childers, Meg Allen, Anna Childers, Brad Coates, Jay Evans, Rob Waterhouse, Sue Brown, Josh Benoit, Kristen Panfilio
Meetings [brief updates, if any]
- Arthropod Genomics Symposium 2023 (Josh). At this point, Josh could only host at a hotel, which would double the cost. Reached out to Scott (Knoxville) - they still have facilities for the last week in June, which will be more cost-effective. Mary-Ann may be able to host the symposium in Africa next year. There will be a poll to assess interest in having the meeting in Knoxville at the end of June.
- Arthropod Genomics Symposium X (AGSx) Virtual Spring Symposium 2023 (Brad)
ICE meeting coming up in Kyoto in August 2024
- Publications [brief updates, if needed]
- EBP Update (Anna)
- Nominations for committees are getting started - newcomers can be nominated
- Finalized list of people for special meeting around challenges for EBP
- Biodiversity genomics workshop will be in early October (2nd-3rd). Organized by region.
- Thoughts about biodiversity genomics academy (training courses; software developers would lead workshops on how to use the software) – ERGA already has something like this(?)
- DToL aims to sequence 2000 species this year
- Visioning 2023 (Kevin, Monica, Brad, Sue)
- Monica will share Kevin’s talk outline
- Discussion on PUIs:
- i5k does NOT currently engage faculty at PUIs (= primarily undergrad institutions). Having projects PUIs can collaborate on that benefit the community, without generating their own data, provides professional development opportunities for undergrads.
- There are funding opportunities that come with PUIs. These institutions have experience writing education grants. This could be a value-add! In NSF grants, you can request funding specific towards funding faculty at PUIs. Faculty and undergrads are eager for projects!
- How do we better connect with faculty from PUIs?
- What support do PUI faculty need for arthropod genomics?
- RJ could possibly be a champion for outreach to PUI. He has lots of information to help understand what PUIs need. (From Zoom chat: “My email is firstname.lastname@example.org . Please reach out. (Or tell me if there is a better place to document this.)”)
- National council for undergraduate research may be a good place to find PUIs, BUT conference has about 20k people, so may need to whittle the target down first
- Example organization: Genomics Education Partnership
- Discussion of Kristen’s schema: to do: (1) showcase flow from computational to insect user (e.g., from Rob to Kristen!); (2) feature publications and other outputs somewhere, clearly (suggestion from Kevin)
NEXT MEETING: March 15, 2023